Each summer, six students from Oglethorpe University and Agnes Scott College participate in a summer internship at Elm Street Gardens, in Sparta, Georgia. Elm Street Gardens is among the most successful organic farms in Georgia and was started in 2004 by an Oglethorpe couple, Suzy ’65 and Robert Currey ’66.
The internship experience may include:
- learning about sustainable organic farming under the supervision of one of the farm managers
- helping develop practical marketing strategies for Elm Street Garden’s farm products
- selling produce at local fresh air markets
- learning about and maintaining financial records
- volunteering with the county food bank or the other civic organizations in Sparta
- participating in the activities of the local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) system
- working on one of the livestock ranches that partner with Elm Street
These learning and working internships may involve extensive physical activity in hot weather.
The summer 2019 internship positions will be posted in the spring of 2019 on Handshake! Interns receive a room and a $300 per week stipend.